Concepts 5.9 for iOS - New Movable Grid + Layer Abilities
Concepts 5.9 for iOS adds a new movable Grid Layer and a host of layer improvements that make working with selections simpler.
Grid as a Layer
If you've been looking for a way to reference the grid on top of your sketches, photos and design work, Grid is now a movable layer in Concepts 5.9 for iOS.
- Activate Grid in the Precision menu and watch it appear among the Layer thumbnails.
- Tap+hold+drag to move the grid layer up or down the list and maximize your visual rulership.
- Adjust your grid opacity with the opacity slider in the Layer menu.
- The grid layer is independent of custom grid settings. Remember that you can customize your grids with the Grid Editor - manage overall settings in the editor, and adapt layer settings to suit your current drawing workflow.
- In the Grid layer menu, tap the Settings gear to access main grid settings, tap the trash to de-activate the grid layer. You can reactivate it again in the Precision menu.
- Activate Snap or Align, hide the still-active grid layer, and draw straight lines anyway. Have fun exploring your new drawing options with grid!
Layer + Selection Updates
These layer updates make it easier for you to work with layers and selections.
- You can now switch layers while having an active selection. This makes it easier to add more targeted strokes to a selection.
- You can also add whole layers at a time to a selection for faster editing. Open the layer menu, tap the layer selection icon to select the layer, then open another layer's menu and select that layer as well.
- Layers that contain selections are now highlighted and have a selection arrow icon on top of the thumbnail, so it's easy to see which layers have active selections.
- Layers in focus mode are now highlighted with an icon. Double tap a layer to enter focus mode and double tap again to exit it.
- Layer options can now be used in focus mode as well as while you have an active selection. Tap the active layer to open the popup and you can, for example, select everything on the layer.
- Adjusting the opacity of locked layers is now possible.
- Layer names are hidden when using the compact UI to maximize the working space. Swipe inwards/outwards on any of the menu buttons on canvas to toggle the mode.
In addition, we've added a lot of changes under the hood in preparation for iCloud Sync + cross-platform support. We are looking forward to these capabilities as much as you are!
If you're happy with this release, please give us a five star review in the App Store or send us your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. We appreciate your feedback and support!
The Concepts Team
How to Edit Your Grid - Learn how to set up and customize grids in Concepts.
How to Create Lined Paper - Learn how to set up lined paper for note taking and handwriting practice on your infinite canvas.
How to Use Layers to Take Notes, Illustrate and Design - Learn how to use Concepts' layers to take notes, illustrate and design your projects.
New to Concepts? Start your infinite sketching journey with these videos.
Concepts for iOS Quick Start - Start sketching in 5 minutes on your iPad with Concepts.
Concepts for iOS Deep Dive - Learn how to navigate Concepts' infinite canvas and tools in this 15 minute tutorial.
Concepts for Windows Walkthrough - Start sketching with Concepts on Windows 10.
Concepts for Android Walkthrough - Learn to sketch with Concepts on Android and Chrome OS.
Not an artist? Not a problem.
Drawing isn't just for artists, it's for everyone. Learn how to sketch and communicate visually with our free Learn to Draw Series by TopHatch designer Lasse Pekkala. Find downloadable course materials in the video descriptions and level up your sketching.
Find more sketching tutorials on our YouTube channel @conceptsapp.